Let's Read: Our Purpose
The goal of Let's Read is to encourage family reading and each year one book is selected and distributed throughout the community. The Family Literacy Committee of Brant held the first Let's Read event in the winter of 2013.
Let's Read provides a number of different activities and events for families to participate in, from author visits to storybook walks to special cultural programs. To view more photos of our past events, please visit our Facebook page.
Thank you to City of Brantford Grants Program, The Writers' Union of Canada and the Canada Council for the Arts for supporting Let's Read.
Let's Read 2022: Our Selection
Our 2022 honouree is author Sara General. Sara belongs to the Turtle Clan and the Mohawk Nation. She lives in the community of Six Nations by the Grand River. Through colourful pictures and lyrical text, her book We Give Our Thanks celebrates how gratitude brings us closer to all of our relations, including the land, the waters, the medicines, and other beings in the natural world.
Let's Read: How You Can Participate
In 2022 we will once again be celebrating online. Join us on Family Literacy Day, Thursday, January 27 for a special recorded presentation.
Visit us on YouTube to hear Sara read We Give Our Thanks: brantlibrary.ca/youtube or brantfordlibrary.ca/youtube
Let's Read: Past Titles
- 2021 Author/Illustrator Ruth Ohi
- 2020 Gifts by Jo Ellen Bogart, illustrated by Barbara Reid
- 2019 Mattland by Hazel Hutchins and Gail Herbert, illustrated by Dušan Petričić
- 2018 The Man with the Violin by Kathy Stinson and Dušan Petričić
- 2017 Snow Day by Werner Zimmerman
- 2016 The Enormous Potato by Aubrey Davis and Dušan Petričić
- 2015 Little Jack Horner LIVE! at from Corner by Helaine Becker and Mike Boldt
- 2014 Big Bear Hug by Nicholas Oldland
- 2013 Farm Team by Linda Bailey and Bill Slavin