Let's Read: Our Purpose
The goal of Let's Read is to encourage family reading and each year one book is selected and distributed throughout the community. The Family Literacy Committee of Brant held the first Let's Read event in the winter of 2013.
Let's Read provides a number of different activities and events for families to participate in, from author visits to storybook walks to special cultural programs. To view more photos of our past events, please visit our Facebook page.
Let's Read: Our Selection
Our 2021 honouree is celebrated Canadian children's author Ruth Ohi. Ruth is the illustrator of over 60 children’s books, 21 of which are her own stories! Her most recent include Scribble, No Help Wanted!, and the Fox and Squirrel series.
Thank you to the Canada and the Writers Union of Canada for supporting literacy programs like this!
Let's Read: How You Can Participate
This year we will be celebrating online! Join us at 1:00 pm on Sunday, January 24 for a special Zoom program featuring Ruth. You must register to attend this event with your family.
Visit calendar.brantfordlibrary.ca to register for this
Registrants for the online will event will automatically be entered to win one of seven Ruth Ohi book prizes.
Let's Read: Past Titles
- 2020 Gifts by Jo Ellen Bogart, illustrated by Barbara Reid
- 2019 Mattland by Hazel Hutchins and Gail Herbert, illustrated by Dušan Petričić
- 2018 The Man with the Violin by Kathy Stinson and Dušan Petričić
- 2017 Snow Day by Werner Zimmerman
- 2016 The Enormous Potato by Aubrey Davis and Dušan Petričić
- 2015 Little Jack Horner LIVE! at from Corner by Helaine Becker and Mike Boldt
- 2014 Big Bear Hug by Nicholas Oldland
- 2013 Farm Team by Linda Bailey and Bill Slavin